VinoVelo

Apart from family, what could be more important than wine and bikes? Of course, there might be the odd rant about other topics on here too...

Friday, May 20, 2005

Barbaresco

I've noticed that there's many more entries on bikes than there is on wine - probably says as much about my own comfort level as it does about the fact that the Giro (plus the TdC another ProTour event) is running right now - and it's the best Giro I remember (other than '87 which wasn't a great giro per se, but what a result!)

It's not that I don't drink wine as much as I ride, I just don't seem to be writing as much about it. Last night, though, my wife, brother-in-law and I had two bottles of Barbaresco. Actually, we only had one, but we opened two. When we opened the first bottle, I felt like it was almost impossible to decipher - it wasn't closed (it actually got worse as we left it open rather than opening up) - but my bro-in-law immediately said it was bad. It wasn't bad in a twist-your-face-up-from-a-single-whiff, just not what it should be.

It was a decent wine - a single vineyard 1996 Produttori del Barbaresco Riserva. The difference between the two bottles was astounding. The second bottle was gorgeous - big, mouthy and very, very drinkable. I do wonder though, if my bro-in-law hadn't been there, whether I'd have just finished the first bottle and assumed it needed more time. I'm getting better, but obviously have a long way to go. With more wines like last night though, I'll enjoy the journey!