VinoVelo

Apart from family, what could be more important than wine and bikes? Of course, there might be the odd rant about other topics on here too...

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Getting doored

There's nothing like almost getting doored by a parked van to sharpen the mind in the morning. Apparently the average cyclist in NYC gets doored once a year. I'm batting better than most not having been hit yet... What was interesting though, was that I was cycling down fifth avenue which has a bike lane on the left side of the road. After glaring at the gentleman that had swung his door open and having gone on my merry way, I looked around to see one bike in the bike lane and three of us on the right hand side of the road. The bike lane on fifth avenue is a joke as it's as much a 'double-parking' lane as it is a bike lane. I'd never noticed before that more of us ride on the right side than in the bike lane on the left (not claiming that my sample of four bike riders is statistically valid, but it interested me nonetheless - maybe it was the adrenaline of the near miss...).