VinoVelo

Apart from family, what could be more important than wine and bikes? Of course, there might be the odd rant about other topics on here too...

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Better late than never

Why is it that when you most want to be able to sit and watch the TV for 3-4 hours a day for 21 days, every aspect of your life goes nuts so that you can hardly see any at all? I got to see the opening time trial on Saturday - but only just. My wife, son and mother-in-law were all in the car on the road waiting for me as Lance crossed the line - bear in mind that that's a manhattan street that I'd left them sitting in. Thankfully, there wasn't too much traffic for the holiday weekend ;-)

I'm not normally a fan of watching time trials but Saturday's brought me back to '89. I was on the edge of my seat and by the end, my heart was racing. I think Lance actually slowed deliberately in the home stretch to avoid any concern of defending the Yellow. Not a gift in his "no gifts" way, but it would be to his own advantage, in a way. We may never know (or he could have been asked and have already answered the question and I just haven't had time to read any news...).